Friday, July 21, 2006

'K' For Kiddie & Keiki

Been trying to find a place to get a haircut for baby and have either heard or came across two places. Ever hear of Aunty Denise's Kiddie Kuts or Keiki Kuts? These are two beauty salons(?) that specialize in haircuts and whatnot for children a.ka. kiddies and keiki. I actually did some Internet research ('cause kiddie/keiki haircuts are serious business!) and found that Keiki Kuts was featured in articles in both the Honolulu Star-Bulletin and The Honolulu Advertiser a few years back while Aunty Denise's Kiddie Kuts offers coupons.

So prior to my investigation, I first call Aunty Denise's Kiddie Kuts. Phone rings more than four times but someone answers. I ask if appointments need to be made for haircuts. This was before I saw the page with 'By appointments only'. She says 'yes' appointments need to be made. So I ask if she had any openings on Saturday. She tells me 'no' they're not open on Saturday's. And I'm pretty sure she said Saturday's and not just Saturday. I make a comment about how I saw their sign that they were open on Saturday but she repeats that they're not open. So I say 'thank you' and hang up. Then I go to my handy dandy camera to see what the evidence actually shows, and it shows that they are supposed to be opened on the 'First Saturday of the month'. Hmm, now I'm wavering on whether or not I call back to make another attempt at scheduling an appointment. And what is 'Every Sunday Following' mean? Then I see the page with her coupons on. The hours there say Tues., Wed., Thurs., Fri., and Sat. - 9:00am - 5:00pm. Is that a 'Sat.' as in Saturday?! And they're open on Wednesday? WTH?

So that's what sparked me to take this a little further with my aforementioned investigation with the Internet research. Had heard that Keiki Kuts charged a bit more than Aunty Denise's Kiddie Kuts (Aunty Denise's price list pictured) so thought Aunty Denise may be the way to go but now skepticism has overcome me and I don't know how accurate this price list may be as well.

After reading the articles on Keiki Kuts it may well be worth the extra dollars as they seem to provide a fun, cool looking environment for baby. If still valid, I like the 'keepsake bags for a snippet of hair and photo of baby's "after" picture as a memento.'

Parents, where do you take your kids to get their hair cut? Oh, and let me add that I will not cut baby's hair. Period.

6 comments:

Angry Asian Girl said...

Wow, called Keiki Kuts and their message says they're currently looking to relocate to another location.

tabasco man said...

My wife will trim the hair of both kids when necessary. Then for the real cut she will take them to her hairstylist. My daughter was easy when she was young so going to the hairstylist was not a problem. My son didn't have much hair when he was a baby so he didn't need a "professional" cut until he was older and more manageable.

Gee Why said...

Luckily, a family friend is a hairstylist so she cuts our daughter's hair. She's had three trims already. We give her a baby cookie and she eats that while getting her hair cut.

Are you hinting that you guys want a Flowbee as a gift?

Anonymous said...

We've been taking our child to Aunty denise for 8 years now and have found her to be great. She works quickly and efficiently. When we first started going our child moved alot and she still got the cut done and it looked great. And to angry asian girl I do recall having some difficulty scheduling with her back during the time of your post but she did just have a baby and being that she does all of her cuts herself she did change her schedule pre and post pregnancy. We still go to her at her new store in Ewa and she is open 5 days a week with longer hours.

Anonymous said...

I have been going to Aunty Denise for 7 years, ever since she opened, and have always been happy with her work.

Just to let you know, as a regular customer, the time you are referring to I agree with anonymous, she had had a baby. She does all of her work herself, so she has to book by appointment only. There is only one Aunty Denise, and so no one else cuts hair there.

Her patience and technique with unruly children is fabulous.

I would recommend trying Aunty Denise before judging....and for those of you who don't know...she's still in business, while Keiki Kuts is not. Shouldn't that speak volumes?

happy mom said...

Just tried Aunty for the first time out in Ewa and she was amazing! My 18 month old was crying and she calmed him in minutes. He is also a mover and his haircut came out great. Thanks Aunty!