Thursday, May 17, 2007

Miss Drunken Independent But True

Although Kelly Clarkson was recorded in a drunken spell, I gotta say she is true. True in the sense that she does what she does because she wants to do what she does. True in the sense that she stood up to challenge Clive Davis, but will get her album released next month as she intended, although later than anticipated. True in the sense that she wrote on all 14 songs on that album which sounds like it's filled with a lot of angst, pain, and sadness. What I really like and can relate to her is that she favors musicians who can tell a story through their music, though they may not have written their own music. She mentions Melissa Etheridge, Bono, and Reba.

For me, some of my favorite artists that can "tell a story" are Sarah McLachlan, Tori Amos, Alanis Morissette, Eminem, among others, and they write their own music. Come to think of it, I've always looked at the credits to see if the artist wrote the songs on that particular album. So, I'll be making that My December purchase when the time comes. Hey, a lot of people get drunk and get recorded in that drunken state at some point in their lives. MSO is a good bad example. I won't chastise her for it. Standing ovation for Kelly!

No comments: