Thursday, April 05, 2007

The End Of 2007?

Been waiting and waiting for OpenOffice Aqua but now it appears only a beta version may be available at the end of 2007. Really don't want to make someone richer by purchasing his well-known version. Not like a few hundred is anything significant for him...Damn change he'll probably find laying around. Guess I'll utilize Google's Docs & Spreadsheets or the like until then (or even beyond) perhaps. Apple's Mail program has been good enough and I don't have a pure urgency to utilize an office suite now that I'm out of school, validating the reason why I don't want to spend money on one.

Docs & Spreadsheets did come in handy though this past weekend. I was too lazy to set up my ancient Sony Vaio to modify a Word document that I needed to modify, print and mail so I decided to try the utility. Not the most sophisticated tool by far but it served its purpose. Of course there's always this and that that I've just found out about.

3 comments:

Gee Why said...

The Mac OS X included TextEdit can handle Word docs as well. Not as sophisticated as Word but you can make edits.

For Apple Mail, I didn't realize how good it is with digital certificates. You don't even notice any kind of annoying interference when dealing with certs. And Address Book can handle certs so in an entry, you'll see names with their certs saved.

If you really want Office, don't forget that you can get the education discount. At the Apple Store, they checked to see if I qualified for an educational discount by asking me if I ever went to school in my entire life. No lie. Way cheaper and I think you get multiple licenses too.

Angry Asian Girl said...

My first instinct was to use TextEdit and I even opened the program up but I didn't think it could handle Word documents so I closed it and went to Google. Thought it was more like a Notepad kind of program. Will check it out though.

Good to know about digital certificates with Apple Mail.

Office 2007 for Mac at an educational discount? It's not out yet. Think I'll still pass. Right now rather spend some money on an external firewire hard drive to clone the baby. Long time over due! Been backing up documents but read about metadata and stuff like that so rather just clone it.

Gee Why said...

Yeah, not Office 2007 for the Mac. It'll be Office 2008 for the Mac. The edu discount was just a comment on getting the current version of Office for a cheap price.

Along with SuperDuper, Carbon Copy Cloner is back in the game.