Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Car Washing Tips

If you want to wash your car like a pro, a minimum of once a week, and it's not raining for days and days, or you got your IS 350 and want to keep it lookin' purty, this article provides some tips. In the past when I did wash my vehicle, I actually had used techniques described in the article. The basic guidelines presented in the article are:

1. First rinse the entire car with water to remove loose dirt.
2. Wash and rinse one section at a time—working from top to bottom—to prevent a section from drying too quickly and leaving deposits or residue.
3. Rub the car surface gently to loosen dirt. Aggressive rubbing can grind dirt right into the finish, leaving scratches and swirls.
4. Be sure to rinse the wash mitt or sponge often to prevent accumulated dirt from scratching the paint.
5. Use plenty of rinse water to carry away the dirt.
They also recommend using a soft terry cloth towel or a high-quality chamois to wipe off excess water. I know I've neglected my exterior and interior long enough, and they're starting to look like crap. Maybe I should have it taken to a detail shop for a professional job. Who washes your car and/or what are your tips?

1 comment:

Gee Why said...

I like washing my cars although washing a SUV and minivan is sure different than washing a sporty car and family sedan. Need a darn step stool now.

I pretty much do the tips in the article. I don't vacuum the interior too much. If I go to Jiffy Lube for an oil change, I let their 14 point service take care of the vacuuming. I do vacuum if I got to.

Never tried Qtips but that's a good idea.

Getting the tires clean is the key to making a car really look clean. A clean car with dirty tires is not a clean car.

About once a year, I use a leather protector/cleaner on the interior. Not sure if that's too little.

I use Windex or a glass cleaner for the inside windows but still got streaks unless I do several passes. Seems like the Windex dries out the rubbery foam at the base of the window so I try to avoid using too much of the cleaner in that area.

Once in a great while, I'll wipe down the interior roof with a damp towel. I saw a streak once and wiped it and grossed out when I saw the towel was dark with dirt. The more of the roof I wiped, the more dirt came off. You don't really notice it, but it's there.

I can't find a real good way to remove dirt streaks from leather. Water or the leater cleaner really doesn't do much.

On the floormats, I have this upholstry cleaner with Oxiclean that does a good job getting rid of stains, except for red dirt from Mililani. That stuff is invincable! Only solution for that is to NOT let dirty shoes in the car.