Monday, February 26, 2007

Quotes From The Academy Awards

Wanted to watch the show but was busy. Was able to catch up with the goings on and get my daily dose of entertainment lowdown. These were deemed to be ten of the best quotes from the 79th show where celebrities dress up to look very pretty and handsome, and oh yeah, find out who takes home the gold statuettes.

"This is the only naked man that will ever be in my bedroom."
– Melissa Etheridge, clutching her Oscar and reveling in her win for Best Song backstage
Did you know she and her partner, Tammy Lynn Michaels, are 13 years apart?

"I noticed everybody's having a hard time with the Oscar and what to do with it. So I came up with this backstage. It's an Ellen Oscar Bjorn. When you go to the parties later, you'll have your hands free to shake hands or drink."
– Host Ellen DeGeneres, revealing her strategy for carrying around the heavy award at the post-show parties
That is pretty inventive. Being able to use a Bjorn in its familiar way was indispensable for MSO and me.

"Even though I honestly did not plan on doing this, I guess with a billion people watching it's as good a time as any."
– Vice President Al Gore, pretending to announce his bid for the White House in 2008 after Leonardo DiCaprio egged him on
Whatever. From politician to documenter.

"I was just backstage with Jack Nicholson and Vice President Al Gore drinking. I don't think he's running for president. My apologies."
– George Clooney, completing Al Gore's faux candidacy announcement
Jack Nicholson is bald now.

"Could you double check the envelope?"
– Martin Scorsese, receiving his Best Director trophy after being passed over for the award five times prior
The critics are already at it regarding the Best Picture win for "The Departed".

"So now we're here to present another award for something short."
– Jaden Smith, 8, joking with presenter Abigail Breslin about having to present the Best Animated Short Film and Best Live Action Short Film awards
Looks like a young, little Will with hair.

"Helen Mirren and an Oscar will be coming home with me."
– Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly and Jack Black, singing about netting a future Oscar and seducing Best Actress winner Helen Mirren
Ookaay.

"Sound editing is very much like sex. It's usually done alone, late at night, surrounded by electronic gadgets."
– Steve Carell, presenting Best Sound Editing with Little Miss Sunshine costar Greg Kinnear
Funny guy.

"Dame Judi Dench is not here tonight. She's having 'knee surgery' on her eyes."
– Ellen DeGeneres, jokingly explaining the Best Actress nominee's absence from the ceremony
I'm definitely becoming convinced that I am really slow 'cause I didn't really get this. Anyone?

"Visual effects: They enable us to see aliens, experience other universes, move in slow motion or watch spiders climbing high above the city landscape. For me, just a typical weeknight in the mid '90s."
– Robert Downey, Jr., presenting the award for Best Visual Effects and referencing his drug-addled past
This one made me laugh. Glad to see he's doing well. Rumor is that Naomi Watts is impregnated by Liev Schreiber.