Thursday, July 27, 2006

Shipping Costs What?!

My gripe for today is about the cost of shipping (and I guess handling) when you sometimes buy products online or through catalogs. Why so ridiculous?!!! I was going to place an order with a site that e uses and much to my very big dismay saw that shipping and handling was going to cost me a whopping $34.10 for a subtotal of $58.46 worth of dog goods. I'm not sure if the items with that shipping cost would still be cheaper than if you bought the same or similar items here (if available), but I guess I went into the 'I can find another site that has the same item at a cheaper price' mode and exited out of the order process.
While looking for one of the items that I really liked but haven't seen here, I came across a few more sites willing to charge you some bucks for shipping, and also came across one that didn't even ship here(!). I eventually did find another site that offered free shipping. Yes, free shipping! Although the cost of that item was more than the original site (and the selection of products was limited), I figured it would still be cheaper. To find out if my assumption was true, I went back to the original site, added that item to my cart, and the shipping cost was calculated. What do you think that cost was? For an item that cost $14.39 it would cost $26.55 for a total of $40.94 to ship it to my abode. Ridiculous! As a result, the free shipping site appears to be a better deal at $21.50. It may take ten years (or less) to get here though...

No comments: