Friday, November 17, 2006

Some Initial Discoveries

Actually spent more than half an hour on the iMac yesterday and discovered that iPhoto is not very flexible when it comes to creating your own custom photo card (or at least it appears so based on my inexperience using the software). They do give you some nice templates and you can even order some with the click of a button (or several), but I could not create dimensions of any sort and I could not find a way to use more than one photo, etc. So I made my way to CompUSA 'cause I had this pretty old gift card that may or may not expire and decided to buy what I sort of know already. But before I did (and it must have been kind of funny), I was circling the PC software area looking for the dang thing. A person had asked me if I needed help before I had started circling but I made like a man and said I didn't need his help. (Haha) Little did I realize that the Mac software was in the area where the music, playing from multiple iPod nano, was blasting. Decided to forgo the Parallels software for now as I don't want MSO hogging the computer using his Windows apps would like to experience the iMac without Windows apps.

I also came to a realization that I probably won't be able to use the fonts on the font CDs that I had for my PC. So I picked up a couple of Mac font CDs. I can be a font freak and love this one particular font that you may have noticed I use on things. I know you can download them but they were staring at me, pleading for me to buy them, and I figure I'll make good use of them like the other CDs I've had and used for years now.

And just a side note: CompUSA has got to get a better way of checking a gift card balance. I called a 1-800 number and pressed some numbers before speaking to a live person. That wouldn't be so bad if a person was available 24/7 but no(!) you have to call at certain times. WTF?! For a computer store to not have an automated way to check a card balance is very surprising to me.

2 comments:

Gee Why said...

Kinda figured as much with iPhoto. It's not for intermediate or advanced users to customize their own thing. More for beginners to use predefined templates to make something nice without needing skillz.

Yep, Apple still has their "store in a store" concept with CompUSA. All Mac stuff is in one section.

On a side note, I've heard kids call the Apple Store at Ala Moana the "iPod Store."

Some fonts, especially modern ones are compatible on both platforms. Here's some info about font support in OS X.

CompUSA doesn't want you to check your balance. I think it's in their best financial interest if you forget about your credit and let it expire. ;)

Angry Asian Girl said...

That's funny, the "iPod Store."

Thanks for the information about font support in OS X. It appears that my ttfs would work.

Damn the big corporations for picking on the little people.