Wednesday, July 18, 2007

iMac-iTunes Woes

WTF is going on?! The problem with our Internet connection returned a few weeks ago and I've unfortunately been using someone else's connection since. Now I got issues with iTunes and not able to play my own damn music that I PAID for!!!

In the midst of changing my playlist on my Shuffle, I clicked on a song (that was purchased through iTunes) and got prompted to enter my username and password. After doing so, because I'm supposedly not authorized to listen and copy my own music, I then get this stinkin' error:

We could not complete your iTunes store request. An unknown error occurred (-50).

Tried a couple more songs that I had purchased. Same thing. And this is not the first time that I've had this happen to me. The issue seemed to go away after iTunes was upgraded to 7.3(?) but now seems to be back. Guess I have to try some troubleshooting steps I had gathered through research the first time. Crap.

2 comments:

Gee Why said...

Yeah, you need network access for iTunes purchases to work. iTunes gotta validate your credentials to stop piracy of music and keep in mind this is what the music companies want in order to sell music online.

So if you got no network access then yeah, your purchased/protected music is not playable. Though I think it'll still play on an iPod since iPods don't check your credentials.

There have been reported issues with the iTunes software recently.

You also use Disk Utility to repair permissions? You can also use other utils to do OS X maintenance. Part of the MacUpdate/MacHeist software bundle is Cocktail that provides easy access to maintenance utilities. The $50 bundle price is valid for a few more hours.

Angry Asian Girl said...

Thanks for more information!

Yes, one of the troubleshooting steps that I had gotten was to utilize the Disk Utility First Aid.

Tried it and it appears to have resolved the built-in ethernet connection problem (not using neighbor's wireless now) and I am again able to play the music that I purchased.

=)